Saturday 20 May 2017

KADALA PARUPPU CHUTNEY, BENGAL GRAM CHUTNEY, CHANA DAL CHUTNEY

Kadala paruppu or bengal gram chutney is my favourite.  Always, the child hood memory flashes when I make this chutney.  One of my classmates, periamma i.e.  aunty  used to make this chutney along with phulkas on those days way back in 70's when I was a student,  I am talking about.  She used to cook the food  in the kummatty i.e. coal based stove.  The taste of that chutney and phulkas she used to give to us during those days,  I still remember.  However, today, I served it along with the dosa.

I prefer this chutney rather than the normal coconut chutney we make,  I am sure, you will also like this.

Let us look at the recipe now:






Ingredients:

2 tsp oil
3  tbsp bengal gram, kadala paruppu, chana dal
1/2 coconut grated
3-4 red chilli or green chilli
a pinch of asafoetida
salt



Tempering;

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urid dal
few curry leaves
2 broken red chilli

Method:

Step 1

Heat oil in kadai.  Add the chana dal and fry till golden brown., do not over fry it.  the taste differs.
remove from heat.  fry the red chilli in the remaining oil if you are using the red chilli.

Step 2

Put all the ingredients in the mixer and grind to a smooth paste.

your chana dal chutney is ready.  

Step 3

Temper with the ingredients mentioned under Tempering.

How to serve:

serve with phulkas, dosa, idli, appam etc.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment