Friday 27 May 2016

GAHAT KI DAL, HORSEGRAM DAL



Gahat  ki dal is the speciality of Uttarakhand, a  Garhwali and Kumaoni dish.  Recently, I was trying the dishes with Kulith  i.e. horsegram, muthira, kollu, it is known as and happened to be in touch with a colleague who is from Garhwal.   

During the discussion with him, he gave me few recipes of Uttarakhand which I will be trying one by one and posting in my blog.

Since I was having the Kulith in stock with me, I thought of trying the dal though one item is missing from the original recipe.  Now I will have to find out from the shops whether it is available  in Mumbai or not.

It is a simple preparation and loved it.   Since we need the spice level very low, I  am using according t our requirement.  You may increase the spice level according to your taste bud.

 Let us look at the recipe now:





Author: Raji Ramakrishnan
Cuisine: Indian – Garhwal/Kumaoni
Category:  Dal

Ingredients:

¼ cup
Kulith, Gahat
1 tsp
Rice flour
5-6
Garlic cloves
Small piece
Ginger
1 tsp
Butter
3 tsp
Oil
½ tsp
Cumin seeds
½ tsp
Red chilli powder
½ tsp
Coriander powder

Salt
¼ tsp
Asafoetida
¼ tsp
Turmeric powder
A small piece
Gandherin*
GARNISH
CORIANDER LEAVES
 *Since not available, have not used.


Method:


1.        Wash and soak the kulith for 2-3 hours or overnight.  I soaked it for half an hour only as I decided to make it in the morning when I realized that I do not have any vegetable in fridge.

2.       Add a cup of water and pressure cook the same for 7-8 whistles.

3.       After the pressure comes down, remove and put in kadai, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, turmeric powder, garlic and bring to boil, simmer.

4.       Add little water in the rice flour and add the paste to the dal.

5.       Simmer for five minutes.

6.       Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and asafetida. When it is done add to the dal.

7.       Before serving, add a blob of butter in it.  (My choice)

Your gahat ki  dal is ready to serve. Garnish with coriander leaves.

How to serve:

Serve hot with rice, chapatti,phulka.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment