Thursday 5 May 2016

BESAN GHATTE KA ACHAR/BESAN NIMBU KA ACHAR



Besan nimbu ka achar or Besan Ghatte ka achar is a Rajasthani cuisine.  Recently, I happened to see the same in a TV show and wanted to try the same.  My neighbour is a Rajasthani and used to give us various kinds of pickles and dishes which used to be very  tasty and bit punchant for us.  She  is also a  very good cook  and if I want something, she always used to help me out  in preparing the dish with her recipe.

I could not watch the full episode of that particular recipe hence I explained to her what I saw and my neighbour gave me the recipe.  Also I went through the net but was not happy with it as it differed from what I saw.  Hence I am adopting the method of my friend and sharing you the recipe here.  

I prepared this for the first time and it turned out so well that I could not believe  that I could make it at the first attempt.  As usual I did not check the time, however, you can make it within an hours time totally.  Now is the season of mango and do not miss the opportunity of enjoying this pickle.

Let us look at the recipe now:


Author: Raji Ramakrishnan
Cuisine: Indian
Category: Pickles


Ingredients:

For the ghatta:

30 gms
Grated mango (raw mango)
¾ cup
Gram flour
¼ tsp
Ajwain
¼ tsp
Hing powder

Salt
1 tbsp
Red chilli powder
¼ tsp
Turmeric powder
2 tbsp
Hot oil
1 cup
Oil

For the gravy (masala)
30 gms
Grated mango (raw mango)
1 tbsp
Saunf
¼ tsp
Hing powder
¼ tsp
Turmeric powder
1 tbps
Dried mango seeds*
3 tbsp
Red chilli powder
½ tsp
Kalonji
1 tsp
Rai dana(kuria)
2 pinch
Methi powder
1 tsp
salt



Method:

Making the ghatta/nimbu:


1.       In a bowl, put the grated mango,  besan, hing powder, ajwain, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.  Add 2 tbsp hot oil in it.  Mix well to form a dough.

2.      Pinch out small portion of it and  shape  small size nimbu balls.  Keep aside.

I made around 12 balls.

3.      Heat ½ cup oil and fry the nimbu balls till it is done, keep aside. Put the remaining oil in the kadai and switch off gas.


Making the masala:

1.       In the kadai in which the oil is there, when it cools down a bit,  add the hing powder, kalonji,  turmeric powder, saunf and the grated mango.

2.      Add the red chilli powder, rai dana, methi powder,  dried mango seeds,  salt, mix well.

3.      Add the fried nimbu balls/ghatta in it, mix well and leave aside for 2-3 days.

4.      Every day, mix it  well so that the nimbu/ghatta absorbs the masala in it well before use.


Note:  How to prepare mango seeds.*



After cutting the mangoes whether it is raw or ripe, break open the hard shell.  You can see the white seed inside the hard shell.  There is a thin cover on the seeds, remove that also. Chop them finely or lengthwise and sun dry the same.  Store it in fridge.
Whenever you want, you can use it.  It has got medicinal values.  you can pressure cook them and wash two to three times to get rid of the bitter taste of it.  If you like the bitterness, add as it is.  

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment