Friday 1 April 2016

KICHADI WITH MANATHAKALI LEAVES

Manathakali leaves are having medicinal values so also the manathakali.  My stomach was upset and I do not want to have any heavy food.  I thought of making kichadi for dinner.  When I went to water the plants, saw the manathakali plant which was in my balcony garden.  So I decided to make kichadi with the leaves along with moongdal and rice.  You can also use samai arisi for this.

Since I want to have light food in the night, I prepared this and had it with the Wet Narthangai which I had brought from Nagercoil when we visited one of my husband's colleague there.

Coming back to the recipe, I prepared this for the dinner and served hot with narthangai and roasted papad to my husband.  I just had the kichadi with narthangai and was very tasty.

Let us look at the recipe now:
kichadi with manathakali leaves



 Ingredients:
 

 

¼ cup
Rice
2 tbsp
moongdal
½ cup
Manathakali leaves chopped
½ tsp
Cumin seeds
2 tbsp
Oil
1
Tomato finely chopped
1
Onion finely chopped
1/4cup
Thick curd

A generous pinch of asafoetida
¼ tsp
Crushed black pepper
¼ tsp
Turmeric powder
½ tsp
Salt
2 cups

water


 
Method:

1.  Wash and soak the rice and moongdal for 15 minutes.

2.  Heat oil in cooker.  Add cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add the asafoetida, black pepper, onion and saute for few minutes.  Add the tomatoes, cook till half done.  add the manathakali leaves and saute for 5 minutes.

3.  Add the curd and cook till the tomatoes are cooked and completely the veggies are dried.

4.  Add the rice, moongdal, two cups of water, turmeric powder, salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium heat.

5.  Allow to cool down the pressure.  Your manathakali leaves kichadi is ready to serve.

How to serve:

serve hot with papad, pickle and raita of your choice.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.


No comments:

Post a Comment