Wednesday 9 March 2016

KHANDVI

Khandvi rolls are favorite snack dish of my husband and children.  Whenever, we pass by the shop TIP TOP, we never miss buying this stuff and the Alu vadi.

This is a popular Gujarati dish made out of gram flour and butter milk.  I never made an attempt to make this khandvi at home since I thought it will be a difficult task.  But somehow, I made up my mind and thought of trying it.  I have gujarati and marwadi friends and asked for the recipe as they know well about it.

They happily shared the recipe with me as they know that I am having a blog and the next post will be this recipe in my blog.

After learning the same, I made it four or five times and it came out well.  Infact when I  made the same for the first time, it came out well but the rolls were bit thick.  Then I decided to practice it and made four or five times.  Today, I shared the same with my friends and they all said that it came out well.

Now I am confident of making this stuff and need not go to TIP TOP as I found the same very easy to make.  Infact I have to try with only half cup of gram flour as it is sufficient for my husband and children.

Now let us look at the recipe now:



KHANDVI



Time taken: 30-40 minutes
serves: 2

Ingredients:

1/4 cup gram flour (besan)
1/4 cup thick curd
1/2 cup water
a pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tsp green chilli and ginger paste
salt
turmeric powder
1 tsp oil

Tempering:

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp white sesame seeds
few curry leaves

Garnishing:

little red chilli powder
1 tsp grated coconut
1 tsp chopped coriander leaves.

Method:

1.  Beat the curd smoothly and add water in it, mix well.
2.  Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, ginger chilli paste, salt.
3.  Add the gram flour and mix well without forming lumps.
4.  I passed it through a sieve finally to remove the lumps, if any.
5.  Add the oil and cook the same in low flame continuously stirring in a non stick pan.
6.  Ensure that it does not stick to the pan.
7.  Grease oil on back of the  plates  and keep ready.
8.  When you feel that the paste is thickened, spread little on the plate and see whether you are able to roll the same.  If you are able to roll the same, then it is the right consistency and remove from fire and spread it with the spatula a thin layer.
9.  Allow to cool.  Cut equally strips and start rolling the same one by one.


10.  If you want to make the rolls small cut horizontally in the center to make it two parts and starts rolling.
11.  Plate it and temper with the items mentioned under tempering.

How to serve:

sprinkle the red chilli powder on top ot it.  spread the coconut, coriander leaves and serve with chutney or as it is.  My children eat as it is or with sauce.

either you can use green chilli chopped while tempering or use red chilli powder to sprinkle on top of it.




NOTE:

The consistency should be right otherwise you will not be able to spread it properly.  You have to spread the same as quickly as possible otherwise it becomes a blob.  If spread thinly, you get think layers.  If spread thickly,you get thick layers but the taste will be same.

If you want bit sour taste, you can use sour butter milk and you do not like sourness, can use fresh butter milk.  If you want sour taste and the butter milk is fresh, can add little bit of lime juice in the mix.

If you could not spread it and it becomes a blob, just scramble the same and give the tempering and garnish with the items mentioned under garnishing and sprinkle nylon sev on top of it and serve.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment