Saturday 5 March 2016

CARROT, MOONGDAL, LAPSI HALVA

Today is my elder brother's birthday and I would like to take some sweets for him.   First I thought, will take a cake and give him a surprise visit.  Since he goes to the temple for bhajan in the evening, I have to inform them otherwise big Godrej lock will be in front me if I go to his house.

Today, being Ekadashi and Saturday also, he will be fasting will not eat anything.   Finally, I thought of making this halva since Moongdal and lapsi are used for fasting, I thought of adding carrot into it to make halva.

Recently, I made Carrot  Moongdal payasam  and was a hit in my house as well as neighbours liked it.

This halva is also very tasty, simple one and can be had by anyone.

Let us look at the recipe now:




Total time taken: 1.30 minutes
Yield: 600 gms

Ingredients:

4 cups grated carrot
1/4 cup moongdal
1/4 cup lapsi (medium size)

1 ltr milk
3/4 cup to 1 cup sugar

Cashew, pista, kishmis as required
elaichi powder 1/4 to 1/2 tsp

Ghee 1/4 cup

Method:

1.  Roast the lapsi and moongdal separately and keep aside.
2.  Soak the pista in water and remove the skin and chop them finely.
3.  In  a kadai fry the cashews, kishmis and keep aside.
4.  In the same kadai, add the carrot and saute for 5 minutes in high flame.
5.  Wash the moongdal, lapsi and drain the water.  Add this in the carrot and saute for 5 - 10 minutes.
6.  Add the milk and bring to boil in high flame.  cook the same for 15-20 minutes.
7.  Add the sugar ( I added only 3/4 cup as it was sufficient for us) and cook the same till it is totally dried up.  it takes around 1 hour.
8.  Add the fried cashews and kishmis, elaichi powder and mix.

How to serve:

serve hot or cold as you wish garnished with chopped  pista.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment