Sunday 31 January 2016

ONION FLOWER SUBZI

When my cousin contacted me long time back to give her recipe for making subzi with onion flower.  I was quite surprised that onion flowers are available in the market.  Seriously, I have not seen them before till such time, I bought it yesterday from the vegetable vendor.

When she asked me about the recipe, I told her to explain to me how it looks like and honestly, I searched in google but could see varieties of onion flowers and was stunned to see the colourful pictures.  However, I gave her the recipe comparing the same with the green onion or known as spring onion subzi.

When I got them yesterday, I decided to make the subzi with potato and the fresh onions from the spring onion.  It was quite tasty and loved  it along with the phulkas and rice.

One must adopt the practice of including greens in their diet atleast once in a week. greens are always good for health.  video





Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

10-12 onion flower stems
 

1 potato finely chopped
5-6 fresh onions removed from the spring onin
1/2 tsp ginger and garlic paste each
a pinch of hing powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp grated coconut
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
salt
1 tsp oil
 


Tempering:

1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds


Method:

wash and finely chop the onion flower stems.  finely chop the fresh onion.

 

chop the potatoes and cook them separately with little salt and drain the excess water, keep aside.

In a kadai, heat oil.  Put the mustard seeds when it is done, add the cumin seeds.  Add ginger garlic paste. saute for a minute.  now add the onion, greens etc. and saute for few minutes now add the boiled potatoes,salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, mix well, cover and cook till they are done.  Add the grated coconut.



How to serve:

serve hot with rice, phulka.

 Note: if you want you can avoid potato and add other veggies like carrots, green peas, beans etc.

You can also add crushed peanuts and sesame seeds for variation.







No comments:

Post a Comment