Thursday 11 December 2014

SARSON KA SAAG

Sarson ka saag is a North Indian Dish.  It is a winter special.  I happened to taste this dish in one of the marriage party.  On that day it was quite cold,  my friend who was a punjabi told me to try this dish as I never eaten this before.  She said you would love this.  So we both went to that counter and took one makai ki roti and little bit of saag as I never tasted it before.  I thought I will go for more if I like it.

Though I was eating the dish for the first time, it was served hot, I could not resist myself as it was awesome along with some pickle and onion.  I ate around three roti along with the saag.  

I asked her to give me the recipe, she said, I only know to eat, you must ask my mother for the recipe.  But she was kind enough to write and bring the recipe for me.  I am sharing the same with you all.

Sarson means mustard and saag means greens.  So you must have got the name yes mustard greens.  few other greens are also added to this viz.palak, radish, methi, bhatua etc.  I have taken only three main ingredients i.e. mustard greens, palak and bhatua as the bunches were quite big and the vendor was not giving me half of it as I do not need so much. 

 


 Still I brought the same, prepared  and shared  the saag with my friends and told them to make makai ki roti and Rinku was kind enough to prepare the hot roti and we all enjoyed it. 

It tastes so good but at the same time, it is very time consuming and take your half day almost.  So If you are working, prepare the same on weekly off day.  You need lots of  patience to  prepare this  yummy dish.  





Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

1 bunch mustard greens
1/2 bunch palak
1/2 bunch bhatua
1 big onion sliced
2 medium sized tomatoes chopped
1- 11/2 inch ginger piece chopped
2-3 green chillies chopped
5-6 garlic pods chopped
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
asafoetida
2-3 cups water

salt

Other ingredients:

1 to 1 1/2 tsp maize flour /corn meal 


1 medium size onion finely chopped
2 tbsp oil

Method:

You have to pick the leaves carefully, ensure that there are no eggs behind the leaves.  Normally in leafy vegetables, you can observe small eggs sticking to the leaves.  You can use the stems if they are tender.  In a big vessel, fill water, add 2-3 tbs salt mix well.  put the leaves in it and keep for half an hour.  This will help in settling down the dirt, mud, if any and even the insects if any will fall off from the leaves due to the salt.  thoroughly wash and put them in a big pressure cooker.  add water, chopped ginger,green chilli, tomatoes, sliced onion, garlic, asafoetida, salt  and pressure cook the same for 5-6 whistles.  Allow to cool down, put them in blender along with the corn meal  and blend to a smooth paste.  I was told by my friend that some people grind the same coarsely.  But what I tasted was a smooth paste.  Put the smooth paste in the cooker back and cook the same till it is in a semi solid form. switch off gas.   this can be cooled and stored in fridge for 4-5 days.

In a kadai, heat the oil and saute the onion, add the required amount of saag in it.  put a blob of white butter while serving with the makai ki roti.

do try this recipe and give me your feed back.  share it on fb, google +.

THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.  

No comments:

Post a Comment