Saturday 18 October 2014

OATS CHAKLI

Diwali festival is around the corner and everybody is in the kitchen trying out some savories and sweets.  This time, I thought of making something different in the sense, the ingredients as I am bored of the usual stuff which we make during the festival.

Since so many days, my husband has been telling me to make Oats chakli.  I made very little quantity in fact tried and came out well.  But some how, I could not post the same as so many other posts were pending with me,  which due to lack of time, could not as well as no camera to take out photos.

Now is the time to post the tried recipe which was repeated today as one of the Diwali special, I am sharing with you all the recipe.   Though I am too late to share, it can be made without much hassles as the rice flour and roasted chana dal will be definitely available with you all minus the oats. Oats is good for health. But when it comes to fried food, bit cautiousness comes to our mind whether to eat or not.  No matter, once in a while chalta hai especially festival season, your diet is going to haywire.  That is life, once in a while we have to enjoy, no matter what comes in.

The Oats chakli came out well, tasty and crispy, crunchy and was satisfied that I made something different in this season.  I had already posted Ribbon Pakoda which my friend Jayashree had shared with me long back in last year, I used the same ingredients plus the oats.




Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

2 cups rice flour
1/2 cups oats ( I used saffola)
1/2 cup dalia (roasted chana)
4 tsp white butter or 4 tsp hot oil (this makes the chakli very crispy)
1/4 tsp  sesame seeds (u an use any white or black) I used white
1/4 tsp asafoetida
4 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp  salt or as required
oil for deep frying

Method:

Dry roast the oats, till it slightly changes the colour, do not burn, allow to cool.  In the same kadai, just toss the dalia (roasted chana) and put it along with the oats.  when cool, make a powder out of it.

Mix therice flour, oats, dalia powder in a wide bowl.  add the butter and mix well.  you will get a crumbly stuff.  Now add the other items like chilly powder, seasme seeds, asafoetida, salt, mix well.  Add water slowly to make a pliable dough, cover and keep for half an hour.

Heat sufficient oil in kadai.  Knead the dough once again and put it in the chakli mould.  Dip the poori jara in the hot oil and take out and keep it on a plate.

 

  Make chakli on the poori jara and dip the same in oil.  Immediately it comes out of the jara and start floating in oil. (this process is adopted by me to avoid the heat while making chakli directly in the kadai).
 


   repeat the process for maximum 4 to 5 chaklis and cook the same in the medium flame till crispy.





  remove and keep it for draining the excess oil.  Place paper napkin in the container and place the chaklis on top of it.   store it in airtight container.

Oats chakli is ready to serve.

NOTE:  Instead of adding red chilli powder, you can also add crushed pepper and cumin.  OR only cumin seeds.






No comments:

Post a Comment