Sunday 14 July 2013

GULAB JAMUN KHEER (BEST OUT OF WASTE)




GULAB JAMUN KHEER  (best out of waste)





Gulab Jamun is liked by all.  The juicy jamun with the sugar syrup is heavenly. 

Normally, I used to make Gulab Jamun with the ready made packet available in the market.  Whenever I make it, my children will not wait for me to keep the same in fridge as I like to have it cold.  As soon as it swells, they will start eating it.

But today, when I made it, it was a mess.  I do not know what went wrong and most of the Jamuns broke and it was a sweet kichadi.  I could hardly take out around 8-10 gulab jamuns from the mess. 

I was thinking what to do now with the broken ones.  I have tasted gulab jamun with rabdi in my office.  So I thought I will make kheer out of it.  What I did was reduced half a litre of milk and mixed the broken gulab jamun and the sugar syrup with the milk and boiled for 5 minutes.  Mashed the jamuns  again and kept in fridge.  Garnished with some dry fruits.  I tell you, it was really awesome.

Now let us look at the procedure.

Ingredients:

7-8 gulab jamuns
½ litre milk
Chopped dry fruits

Method:

Reduce the milk in a heavy bottom vessel to half (1/4 ltr)
Break the gulab  jamun, mash it and add it along with the sugar syrup to the milk
Mix well and boil for 5 minutes
Cool it and keep it in fridge.
Garnish with chopped dry fruits.
Serve chilled.

NOTE:  If you have the gulab jamuns are broken while preparing, do not worry, follow the above procedure and enjoy the way I did.


Since it is very sweet, you will not be able to consume more.  Hence serves around 7-8 people.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks.
    I was looking for something similar. My husband tried making gulab jamuns for the 1st time and it became too big and soggy.
    Will definitely try to save them with Ur trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great rescue recipe. Made gulab jamun with bread. Came out well, looked good, but bread at best can just be sweet. So, tried pantua (Bengali version of GJ). And it became messy. Some cracked and burst while frying and others collapsed in the syrup. They look like squeezed lime in a pickle. Wonder if your resurrection recipe will work.

    ReplyDelete