Saturday 7 February 2015

CHIVDI STIR FRY

Chivdi is a locally available green vegetable with tiny leaves.   I feel it grows like the grass as I could not see any information while surfing due to lack of information about its name.   In my lifetime, I have not seen this till few months back when I went to the market.  The vendor told me that we can make dal, stir fry subzi out of it so I tried my hand on it.

Since there was lot dirt and mud in it,  I had to pick the same very carefully and put it in water for around 30 minutes to settle down the mud.   took it out from the water and again put in water for another 10 minutes to clean the same perfectly.

It does not have any specific taste or flavour but I liked it. Hence the recipe is shared with you too.  If any one can provide me the english name and more information, will be grateful.


recipe for the dal


Total time taken: 60  minutes
serves 1-2

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped chivdi
1 onion finely chopped
1 green chilli
1/2 tsp red chilli powder or garam masala 
salt
turmeric powder

Tempering

1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds

garnishing:

2 tbsp grated coconut


Method:

Wash, pick, clean and chop the chivdi.  Heat oil in kadai.  add the items mentioned under tempering.  when it is done, add the green chilli chopped and onion chopped.  when the onion become translucent, add the chivdi, salt, turmeric powder, cover and cook till tender.  add the garam masala or red chilli powder, stir, garnish with grated coconut and serve with chapati or rice as side dish.

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment