Wednesday 19 November 2014

ORANGE BURFI, SANTRA BURFI

The season of  orange has started and all seasonal fruits are liked by my children and they do not miss them.  Nagpur orange is famous in Maharashtra as well as the Nagpur Orange Burfi.  

I tasted it when one of my friend came from Nagpur and brought this for us.  I was  quite happy to get the box of burfis and without even offering  anyone, started eating it. 

Ever since I tasted that burfi, it was in my mind to try but could not do so for no reason.  This year my husband brought the big fully ripe oranges, I thought, I am not going to miss the chance of making the burfi this time.

I made the burfi in two ways one with mawa and one with maida.  But the most liked one was with mawa hence I am posting the same first and shall post the recipe with maida in due course.

Now the season has started, I preferred  to try the same with the fresh oranges only and not with ready made juice or emulsion.  The result was yummy.








Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

90 gm mawa
90 gm sugar
1 cup orange pulp of fully ripe oranges ( segments of two oranges)
a pinch of  orange food colour
1-2 tbsp milk powder
1tbsp orange zest
chopped nuts viz. kaju, badam, pista
1 tbsp ghee + little for greasing the plate
1/4 tsp cardamom powder 

Method:

Preparation of Mawa:

In a thick bottom vessel, add little water and then pour the milk.  bring to a boil and reduce the flame.  reduce the milk by stirring occasionally.   it will take minimum 30 minutes to make the mawa.  I used Gokul buffalo milk which yielded 91 gm mawa.

Preparation of burfi:

In a pan add the mawa, sugar and cook it till it is dried up.  You can also powder the sugar and mix with the mawa.  When it is fully dried up, add the mashed orange pulp in it.  dissolve the orange colour in little water, add to the pulp.   when u add the pulp, it is likely to become watery. add the zest too. 



  this is the stage when u add the orange pulp and cooking.

 keep stirring till it is dried up completely.  switch off the gas remove from the gas top.  allow to cool for two minutes.  add the milk powder, mix well and transfer to the greased plate.   spread the chopped nuts on top of it. press with the spatula.  level and leave it for cooling.




after 10-15 minutes cut it into desired shape and serve.







THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment