Saturday 12 April 2014

KANDA KAIRI, SPICED MANGO WITH ONION

Kanda kairi or spiced mango with onion is a lovely instant pickle.  This recipe was shared with me by Anjali,my friend, neighbour.  When we had some kairi (raw mango) with us, she told me we make this dish and serve it in the afternoon.  If some one comes from out during the summer season, and served this for lunch, it refreshes your  mind and body as it is having the cooling effect.

Instantly, I made this and gave her to taste it and was awesome.  Though it was made 10 days back, could not post it due to hectic schedule.  I want to share this as this is season of mangoes, pickles etc. so you must not miss the opportunity to taste this recipe.

Kanda kairi is made out of raw mangoes, onion and jaggery with chilli powder without oil.

Actually, I wanted to post this as my 500th post.  But when I made panchamrutam for neivedyam, I thought I will post that as my 500th Post.

kanda kairi

kanda kairi



Let us look at the recipe now:


Preparation time:  20-25 minutes
serves 3-4
shelf life - best if eaten fresh. (remains in fridge for a day)

Ingredients:

5 medium size  onion grated
1 cup grated mango ( 1 raw mango)
1 cup jaggery grated
2 tsp red chilli powder
 generous pinch of cardamom powder
 generous pinch of roasted cumin powder
2 tsp salt

Method:

Peel the mango and grate it.
grate the jaggery and onion.
In a bowl mix all the ingredients and keep it  for 4-5 hours.
by the time the jaggery will be melted in it and will be well blended.
serve with dal rice, roti, bread etc.

spice, salt, chilli powder, may adjust according to the sourness of the mango.  You can also add a pinch of roasted saunf powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment