Saturday 8 March 2014

PAAL PAYASAM, RICE KHEER, MILK KHEER

Paal payasam or milk and rice kheer is the favourite dish of Lord Krishna.  Ambalapuzha Paal Payasam is famous in Kerala.  Last year when I went to Kerala,  I got a chance to visit the temple and was truly blessed to witness the abishekam of Lord Krishna.

Paal payasm is made with rice, milk and sugar and I just love it.  I always make the same with Mahananda Milk I prefer that because it tastes awesome.  When you reduce the milk the colour changes and the taste of the dish is also yummy.

In Kerala, a vessel called uruli, see the picture below, the kheer is made it in it.

Today is International Women's day. Co - incidentally, our friends and neighbours decided to host the Kitty Party today.  Hence I decided to make this kheer.  Although I have made this and clicked the photographs so many times, could not post it as I totally forgot about this.   Hence I thought I will post the same today.


Happy women's day.







Let us look at the recipe now.

Ingredients:

1 ltr milk
handful of rice
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
a generous pinch of cardamom powder.



Method:

Wash and soak the rice in water for half an hour.
cook the rice with one and half cup water
when the rice is cooked and the water is almost dried out, add the milk and cook till it is reduced to half the quantity.
add the sugar and again cook the same till you get a  nice colour and kheer  consistency.  
when it becomes cold, will thicken.  you can add little hot milk 
add cardamom powder and serve hot or cold as you wish.

Note:  you can chop the velchi banana, kunnan pazham and put in it and serve.







No comments:

Post a Comment