Monday 31 March 2014

NEEM FLOWER RASAM, VEPAMPOO RASAM, RASAM

Neem flower rasam is made during the Tamil, Telugu New year day.  Sour,  bitter, sweet, salt & spice  everything is mixed and the same should continue in the following days that is why on the new year day, these kind of dishes are made

Neem flower can be purchased form the Tamilians stores or if you have the tree nearby, can collect the flowers.  Yesterday, I had been to the market to buy certain things for the GUDI PADVA, i.e. the New year day of Maharashtrians, I happened to see the bunches of neem leaves full of flower and could not resist myself from buying the bunch as the New Year is on April 14, Monday, 2014, I wanted to make the rasam or raita or thogayal  or pachadi out of it.  

Neem flower, vepampoo

This recipe is lying in my folder since last year and I forgot about it.  I thought I had already posted it.  when I was checking it today, found that I have not posted it.  Hence sacrificing my sleep, I decided to upload the same and then go to sleep.

If you put them in a paper, pack it tightly and keep it in fridge and forget.  you will get the dried flowers.  there is no need to keep them in the hot sun for drying or you can use the fresh flowers too.



Vepampoo rasam, neemflower rasam



Let us look at the recipe now:


Ingredients:

Neem flowers - 2 tbsp
ghee  - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
turmeric powder - a pinch
asafoetida - a pinch
Thin tamarind juice - 1/4 cup (you can use it uptil one cup) we do not use tamarind, hence have taken only 1/4 cup and balance i used lime juice)
a small piece of jaggery
red chilli 1 or 2 broken into pieces
few curry leaves
salt to taste

Heat ghee and fry the neem flower till golden brown if you are using fresh flowers.
If dried flowers are used, just put them and immediately take it out, do not burn it, keep aside.
add the oil, when it is hot, add the mustard seeds, chana dal, curry leavaes, asafoetida, red chilli pieces
when it is done, add the tamarind juice, salt, jaggery, turmeric powder, salt and bring to boil till the raw taste of tamarind goes off.
switch off gas.  add the fried neem flower, lime juice  and serve hot with rice.

Note:  after adding the neemflower, do not boil.  It goes well with rice.  I just drink it like soup.

A happy and prosperous New Year to all of You.  HAPPY VISHU











No comments:

Post a Comment