Sunday 4 August 2013

MYSORE PAK





Mysore Pak



Today is my daughter's birthday.  When i asked her  what should i make for her, she said Mysore Pak as she loves it.  Mysore pak is made with gramflour, sugar and ghee.  You can use generous amount of ghee in it but keeping the health factor, i have used only the required quantity and not more.


Mysore pak is a sweet dish made specially for Diwali and occasions like wedding, engagement etc.  It is a mouth watering rather meling in the mouth item and i love this.  I have seen my father making this but that time did not bother to  learn.  After coming to Mumbai, I attended a wedding there they served this mouth watering dish. Let me tell you, it melted in mouth so I decided to try my hand on it.



Came home and took the besan, sugar and dalda.  That time, i was not having pure ghee with me thought will try with this.  Since I have no idea how much time it takes and how it will end up, i started my mission.  Melted the sugar, mixed the besan, dalda  and started stirring it.  after some time, i could not find the end of it so threw away the entire thing.  Ofcourse, I was sad as  I could not succeed in making it and secondly, i had to waste the entire stuff. 

In my mind i was thinking, how can i waste so much of sugar, dalda and the effort i took to make the same.  I went and asked my aunty how to make it.  Again one day i tried with one laddle ful of besan, i failed as the end product was powder.  But did not leave it, till such time i became perfect with it, i kept on trying with little quantity and finally succeeded.  

So before you start preparing this, always try with small quantity no matter if it becomes powder, still we can eat it.  

By telling my story, i am not discouraging you from trying this item as experience teaches us to become perfect.

So do try and enjoy.


Preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 45 minutes
yield:  50-60 small pieces.


Ingredients

1 cup Gram flour (besan)
1 - 1 1/4 cup Ghee (Clarified Butter)
3 cups Sugar
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder


Method


Sieve the gram flour and keep aside.  In a kadai, add 1/2 cup water and sugar, melt the same.  there should not be any granules of sugar in it. Just melt the ghee. it should warm not very hot.  Now mix the ghee and the besan and keep aside.  As per my experience, if you add the besan directly in the sugar syrup, chances of forming lumps are there.  Hence I tried this method and became successful.  Take a big plate add grease the same and keep aside

When the sugar is completely melted, add the besan ghee mix in it slowly.  While you add this, must stir continuously.  Cook the same in slow flame.  It takes around 45 minutes.  While making this item, you should continuously keep on stirring it as there are  chances of getting the same burnt underneath.   Also when it starts leaving the kadai, you must transfer it immediately.

.
When the mixture starts leaving the sides, add 3-4 tsp ghee in it, add the cardamom powder mix well and transfer it in the greased plate.  Immediately pat the same to make the level even.  Dip a knife in ghee and cut into desired shape and leave it for cooling.




when it cools down, remove the pieces.  Your mysore pak is ready to serve.

Note: you can add more ghee if you are not health conscious in the proportion of 1:3:3 means one cup besan, 3 cups sugar and ghee. 




No comments:

Post a Comment